Thursday, January 17, 2008

the two little girls who ran toward me

Among a number of terrified children incidents, there were two little girls who embraced me. Here they are.
This one was Muslim and was the daughter of a leather merchant we went to browse at. She came to me wanting to be held.

This one was the daughter of a politician who was elected by the people but denied the post. A political corruption thing. She was my constant companion on our first trip to the village. Her family lived in Kaduna. We returned her to the care of her parents on the Friday the 11th, then stayed the night. She was marvelous. She was incredibly engaging and bright. She translated the Hausa phrases I kept hearing, so I could learn them. It was her first time in the village also. I took care of her and she took care of me. She didn’t leave me out of her sight. He father was telling me that she was so excited to meet me that she barely slept the night before I came.

And here are the screaming children.

No comments: