Sunday, January 20, 2008

running away from Baruka.

In the early afternoon, I attempted to get Neicy to fall asleep by pretending to sleep myself. My feigned sleep was only credible to Baruka who went to lie down himself. Eventually, I told Neicy I was going running and she could either stay or come with. I took off toward the railroad tracks, which lead to Zankwa to the east and to a large mountainous rock to the west. I headed west only to find Neicy trailing me. We climbed the rock and looked out across the surrounding landscape. We cheered because we had succeeded in loosing Baruka. Our freedom was short-lived, for on the way back down the rock, we saw someone come crashing through the brush at us. It was Baruka, winded, shirtless and with a frightened look in his eyes.

While he was accompanying us back, he exclaimed about how he had lost us and persuaded, “We will go and rest now. We are finished for today.”

I was barely winded. I told him, "I have only begun. I will also run to Zonkwa today. I will wear you out, I promised.”

So much for the delicate white lady.

As for Neicy, her commentary went like this, “I tell you, she is very strong, Truly!.”

I did run to Zankwa later that day. Neicy and another visitor, Nola, missed me and were on their way to Zonkwa also. I met them coming on my way back.

There is no escaping community and togetherness in Africa. For me there was especially no escape. Eyes are everywhere people are. All Baruka had to do to find me is stand out on the porch and ask, “Where did the white lady go?” And the people would point. A few paces from the house he would only have to ask the bushes, which way did the white lady go, and the bushes would point, also. Even in the bush, there were people everywhere. The population density is amazing. And everyone knows each other in the bush. Even in the city, we were running into folks the guys knew on the street, stopping traffic to talk to them.
January 10

Here is Baruka. Notice the Bulus scarification on the left cheek.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI, I just found your site here. It looks like I missed most of your trip, I'll be reading all the back pages. Wishing you the best! ~I

espíritu paz said...

Thanks I.
I'll post some more. There are pieces I haven't bothered putting up yet. ...and as long as people are still reading...