Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nigerian English

I took tea for my first breakfast. It came with a tin container of milk that looked a bit pink. I asked what kind of milk it was. I was told it was tin milk. Where does it come from? Thinking which animal produced this. I thought I was told this is pig milk. Pig milk! Okay, no problem, I will drink pig milk. Yet tonight when I was taking my tea, I took it with pig milk again...then I read the label on the can. You can see it here.



I was at the Nigerian Consulate, when I asked another Nigerian who was waiting with his sister to help her get her passport. I asked him where I could get a money order. He told me two blocks south on the right hand side the citi gas station does money orders...or so I thought that was what he said. Later, as I was running to get the money order, I couldn’t find a citigas. I turned around to look for a gas station that fit the parameters, with a two syllable name that might sound close to citi. QT was it.

No comments: