Wednesday, January 16, 2008

remnants of the caste system

Later that week in Kaduna, after going up and down and all around from one high walled courtyard to another, transported in a tinted windowed car, I was about to have a melt-down. Whereas, at first it felt like a mysterious conspiracy that I had time warped into, it soon was extremely restrictive to an independent person like myself. I took a little jaunt on an okada with my name’s sake to an internet café and that helped. We also took a walk on the streets out side the offensive walls, but I was still angry at the walls. As I was expressing myself dramatically, I countered their "protection from theft and lawless people" reasons for the walls and the barbed wires. "This is not security, it is jail! These walls are remnants of the caste system, which allows the rich to live with plenty while those outside the walls dig in the gutter for daily sustenance." It’s a systemically acceptable bondage that binds the poor to their poverty and the rich to their wealth. Both are equally in bondage. "Get me out of this jail!"
And as if to emphasize my point all the lights went out on our half of the city as I finished my tirade, sending us all into a fit of uncontrolled laughter.

No comments: