Sunday, December 30, 2007

introduction

Here I will chronicle my first trip to the other hemisphere. Lots of people ask, what will you be doing in Nigeria?” Observing and plotting and scheming. I’m not going as a part of an intentional mission group but in acceptance of the personal invitation of a friend, or more appropriately, a friend of a friend. I prefer this sort of invitation because it takes most of the American buffers off of American experiencing other cultures. I also strongly believe one must be a student of the culture an context before one can ever intend to do mission effectively or sensitively.

My Nigerian friend is Father Vincent. He’s finishing a double master at St. Cloud State. I met him at the graduation of another friend. On his interim break he decided to return to his home to visit and take care of family affairs. His Sr sister also resides in Nigeria and will be “entertaining” me. She is a nun and the caretaker of the family of 10, who lost their mother at a young age. Only four or five of them remain alive of which Vincent is the youngest. His father is 89.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for inviting me along on your journey!! Blessings as you experience the parable...
Kim